We’ve always been a fan of the humble gingersnap, which is why we want to share this recipe for Vegan Gingersnaps. This recipe is also ideal if you have a dairy or egg allergy, as it is completely free of both. Using vegan flax eggs and vegan alternative butter, this recipe still has that great ginger flavour, without all those animal-based extras.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 3/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup Molasses
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 tbsp Flax/Chia Seeds ground (in coffee grinder)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- Before anything else mix the 1 tbs of ground seeds with 2-3 tablespoons of water and set aside. Leave for at least 5 minutes to thicken, and this mix becomes your ‘egg’.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a baking tray by lining it with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter alternative, molasses, brown sugar and vegan egg (step 1). Beat on high until mix is creamy.
- To this add the baking powder and all the spices.
- Add the flour slowly in parts, mixing until it looks like a thicken dough.
- Using a tablespoon, divide the dough and roll into balls. Lay each ball on the baking tray, and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, until gingersnaps are golden and crisp. We think these taste even better when they’re not super hot, so cool before eating.